This car was sold in 2006 by Bonhams in Geneva for 199.860 CHF
1969 MASERATI MASERATI MISTRAL 4.0-LITRE SPYDER
COACHWORK BY CARROZZERIA FRUA
CHASSIS NO. AM109SA1717
‘We do not suppose there are many cars whose names conjure up an aura of exotic glamour to the same extent as that of Maserati. Even now, many years after the company has withdrawn from any form of competition, past glories linger on.’ - Sporting Motorist.
Maserati’s survival strategy for the 1960s centered on establishing the company - which hitherto had mainly concentrated on its Grand Prix and sports car racing activities - as a producer of road cars. The Modena marque’s new era began in 1957 with the launch at the Geneva Salon of the Touring-bodied 3500GT. A luxury 2+2, the 3500GT drew on Maserati’s competition experience, employing a tubular chassis frame and an engine derived from the 350S sportscar unit of 1956. Suspension was independent at the front by wishbones and coil springs, while at the back there was a conventional live axle/semi-elliptic arrangement. Power output of the gorgeous twin-cam six was around 220bhp initially, later examples producing 235bhp.
Last of these classic six-cylinder Maseratis, the Pietro Frua-styled Mistral commenced production in 1963. The 3.7-litre version of the Bolognese manufacturer’s long-stroke engine was fitted to most cars, other options being the 3.5-litre or, from 1966, the 4.0-litre unit. A handsome two-seater on a shortened, square-tube chassis, the Mistral was built in coupé and spyder versions, the former’s opening rear window hatch making it an unusually practical car. A five-speed gearbox, disc brakes and fuel injection were standard equipment; automatic transmission, air conditioning and a limited-slip differential the options. Production ceased in 1970, by which time a total of 827 coupés and 123 spyders had been built.
This 4.0-litre Spyder was delivered new in Bologna, Italy on the 27th June 1969. The car was exported temporarily to Germany on 3rd April 1974, it is believed for some maintenance work, before being UK registered in August 1975 by Jerome Harrington, of London. Mr Harrington kept the car in the UK for one year, after which he took it to Cannes and sold it to Mr Jurg Weber, of Bern, Switzerland who kept it for 25 years. In 2000 Mr Weber sold it to a Mr Girardin, of Bienne, Switzerland, who fitted a new soft-top and had the interior re-trimmed by Claude-Alain Boss, of Neuchatel. Some mechanical refurbishment was carried out by M & R Beutler, of Bienne before Mr Girardin sold it (at auction) to the current owner in 2003. The latter gave the car to Bjarsch in Zurich, Maserati specialists since the 1950s, who carried out extensive refurbishment which was completed in 2005 at a cost of 13,700 CHF (detailed invoice available). Possessing continuous and documented history from new, this rare Mistral Spyder is offered with Swiss Carte Grise.