High altitude - how to adjust?

Hi to everyone!
I am new in this forum, my name is Karl Klingler, I am located in Switzerland, just bought a few days ago a 1965 Mistral 3700.
Since we have high mountains with nice curvy streets I have the following problem:
As soon as I go higher than 5400 feet (approximately 1800 meters above sea level) my car starts to cough. The power goes down, I have to drive with higher rpm to keep the car going. Obviously the fueling goes to rich.I heard that Lucas produced an Altitude Compensation Unit - any information available? Is there any other solution than to switch to Weber carburetors - I would never do …
Thank you for your help, Karl

Hi Karl,
I cannot give you the Lucas trick. The guy in NL is good, but has experience with the high altitude.

But as a Swiss residing in CH, I have had both my Mistral Coupé 4000 and my Mistral Spyder 3,7 converted to 42 DCOE Webers. I have NEVER EVER encountered any problems with my Webers, neither in the heat nor in the mountains, and I did more than 30000kms in either of my car that I now own for nearly 20 years. On any outing with my fellow 6 cylinder Maseratisti (mostly Sebrings and Mistrals, but also 3500 GTi) at least one of them was suffering from fuel line overheating, bubbling and/or strike of the injection unit, which meant standing still and cooling off for at least an hour. The barometric Lucas unit is not able to cope with the rise in altitude. The occasional injected car that runs in the altitude is the exception.

Just my 2 cents.

Best, Peter

… unten rechts im Bild die dicke, messingfarbene Rändelschraube. Sie ersetzt die Barometerdose, die ursprünglich dahinter saß. Durch Eindrehen wird das Gemisch abgemagert.

1 Like

Hallo Guido!
Ganz herzlichen Dank für Deine Message, die ist sehr hilfreich.
Ich recherchiere intensiv und bin an einer Lösung vom Innenraum her interessiert. Aber Deine Erklärung hat sehr viel dazu beigetragen.
Nochmals Danke!
Karl

Hallo Karl,
für eine Regelung vom Innenraum aus wäre vielleicht ein Umbau des Chokezugs denkbar, so dass der Choke im normalen Fahrbetrieb halb gezogen ist und in der Höhe eingeschoben werden kann. Keine Ahnung, ob die Hebelei im Metering Unit das zulassen würde. Das kann sicher Harm Klijn einschätzen (der mir gegenüber allerdings nicht sehr hilfsbereit war). Hier noch mal Zeichnungen der Anlage, die die komplizierten Hebel im Metering Unit zeigen, die auf den Stop wirken.
http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri135.htm

Schöne Grüße
Guido

Hallo Guido
Ja, diese Option wurde auch schon im Triumph TR5/6 Forum beschrieben, werde das genauer anschauen. Deine Lösung scheint aber sehr einfach zu sein.
Nochmals besten Dank!
Karl